Monday, January 20, 2014

I am breastfeeding my daughter, and for the most part, it is great. I also went back to work full-time when she was 12 weeks old, so I pump while I'm at work so she has milk for during the day. Pumping sucks, but we'll get into that in subsequent posts.

For the first 6 weeks or so after the baby was born, I used disposable nursing pads in my bras to absorb milk leaks. However, I didn't find them terribly comfortable, and they tended to shift around and bunch up, plus the adhesive didn't last long. So I decided to try the reusable, washable nursing pads. I had some cotton ones that a friend had given me and I also bought some Bamboobies.

(Anyone else think cutesie names like "Bamboobies" are kind of ridiculous? I think the only one that might be worse is "My Brest Friend," which is a nursing pillow. But I digress.)

So to me the reusable pads were way more comfortable. The only problem was, they didn't stay in place very well. So inspired by the adhesive on the disposable pads I bought some double-sided fashion tape. It's usually used to stick low cut necklines to your skin so you don't titillate the paparrazi, but I thought it might work to adhere the pad to my bra.
I just put a small 1-2 inch piece of the tape on the back of the pad, and then adhere it to the inside of my bra. I lasts all day and keeps the pad in place. The first picture is the Bamboobies without tape, and the second photo shows how I put the tape on the back side.
I hope that this tip helps someone out with their breastfeeding journey!

1 comment: